Thursday, May 3, 2018

Blood Stains

Standing on the side walk, in the neighborhood
Early in the morning, waiting for the bell to ring
Doors swing open, teachers welcome us in

Going through the hallway, smiling and saying hello
Time is getting short, looking to catch up with my friends
Talking parents, siblings and gossip

Who we like and don't always a hot topic
Got to get going the warning bell is ringing
Only five minuets before teachers start complaining

Bust the combo for the locker, get the book for my class
Double check the mirror make sure I look decent
Really only care about gym, lunch and music

In assigned seats, sitting, mind tripping on other subject matter
This teacher is so boring, still taking notes like a master
Young and interested in the status of color and collars

As the bell rings, the first up out of my seat
My friend to my left, tried to get the attention of me
The girl who stayed back a year, started to laugh

Everyone around her only echoed it back
Finally figured what all of the ruckus was about
The spot appearing on the back of my paints was new to me

Sent to the nurse for something like cotton, but felt like Brillo
Real fast, back at the locker to wrap the jacket around my waste
Trying not to cry in public, truly wanting to holler

Awkward, finally the day would soon be over
The longest day of misery anyone could endure
Going home to try and search for the cure

Once again faced with laughter, sick ways to express understanding
Embarrassment in our coming of age, put on display and met with shame
Relating growth and maturity with trauma

Showing no pride and unity in womanhood
Allowing anyone to penetrate and desecrate it is damnable
Making a mockery of it, only leaves me confused

Uncomfortable in the process from girl to woman
Not guided with a nurturing hand, but shoved into it
Being told to be tough, loosing the purity in our ability to care

My alarm goes off, another day begins
Breakfast at the table, grabbing my lunch
Telling myself to ignore questions or seek comfort

I walk out the door and walk out the gate
Hoping the pads will hold, paying attention to each step
I see my friends, hoping they would forget, Nope.

- MDM Original




2 comments:

  1. Amazing illustration of the transition to another phase of life for women.

    ReplyDelete